I recently gave a talk to a group on “7 Ways To Engage People on Twitter”. These aren’t the ONLY 7 but 7 practical ways to engage people on Twitter.
1. Ask others a question. “Anyone know a good plumber in Dallas?”
2. Send a thank you tweet to those who follow you. “@marketingtwins – thanks for follow. Look forward to learning from each other”
3. Send a thank you tweet to anyone who retweets (RT) your tweets. “@1429creative – thanks for the RT”
4. Use the hashtag when possible. #superbowl #worldcup
5. Engage people in a discussion. “@mcuban – how are the Mavs going to do next year in the NBA Western Conf?”
BONUS BLOG TIP: Twitter allows up to 140 characters. However, if you expect anyone to retweet your message, use only about 120-125 to allow room for the RT characters. (that’s a quick blog only freebie!)
Chris Brogan, noted social media expert and President of New Marketing Labs, also recently published a blog post “50 Power Twitter Tips” which are simple, practical uses of Twitter. We wanted to share them with you as well.